I remembered Guy Fawkes Day this morning on my own for the first time in 3 years! It would appear that I am assimilating.
Last week I was in London, which is when the Big Ben/Parliament picture was taken, and bought some fantastic sparkly yarn, Stardust Dream in Color “Experimentals” from I Knit London.
The picture doesn’t really do the colour, or the silver flecks, any justice, but my digital camera is out-of-order, so I’ve been using the camera phone. It is really gorgeous; the silver nylon sparkles are very subtle and glimmer really nicely under the light without the ‘Holy glitter!’ reaction.
I bought Dream in Color to use for Springtime Bandit by Kate Gagnon Osborn. I’ve wanted to knit this shawl for several weeks, but hadn’t found the right yarn until I walked into I Knit London and saw the hank of purple Dream in Color.
I started Springtime Bandit yesterday and the yarn knits up really nicely. There are a few problems with the pattern, mainly the crochet Cast-On, which can be substituted, with the same effect, by casting on 2 stitches. Then knit those first 2 stitches of the row and add 1 stitch at the beginning of each knit row by knitting through the back loop until there are 7 stitches.
Also, the instructions don’t include the 2 edge stitches (4 edge stitches altogether), so when you finish the set-up chart, you actually have 55 stitches, not 51 like the instructions say. I completed the first few rows of the body chart and the 55 stitches worked out with the pattern.
I also spent close to an hour looking up Ravelry advise on the pattern and it seems that several people casted on using the ktbl method to get 7 stitches and other people also verified that the 55 stitches is correct. Other advise included substituting the SKP with SSK, which has the same effect, but I don’t think the SKP is any more or less difficult than SSK; it’s just a matter of preference to get the left slanting decrease. If I have any more mods by the time I finish, I will be sure to post them.
Other recent projects include fingerless mittens for my sis-in-law and myself. For the sis-in-law, these grey mittens from Knitty.com called Fetching by Cheryl Niamath. I used the Sirdar Aran Super Wash we used for the MacMillan Cancer Blanket.
I also made myself some Owling Fingerless Gloves with Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk DK. I only had one skein, so was concerned that I wouldn’t have enough, and took out one owl pattern (40 stitches casted on instead of 45) and they are a perfect fit. It’s also done wonders for my self-esteem as it’s not very often I get to decrease the size to fit!
I loved knitting with the Alpaca Silk and the yarn is so soft and squishy and warm! As I was knitting them, I swear the yarn smelled of jasmine, my favourite scent, but I was just imagining that because the yarn was so soft and lovely. They don’t smell so nice now that they’ve gotten wet from the horrible Manchester weather. Boo Winter!